Tuesday, November 05, 2013

THE NEW SS100 BROUGH SUPERIOR


The 2014 Brough Superior SS100
Mark Upham has been dropping hints about a 'new new' machine in the Brough Superior stable, being built and assembled by Boxer Design in Toulouse, France, with help from the team at Aquila Design in England. The bike was unveiled today at the EICMA show in Milan.  Upham says 'We've spent 4M euros on the design of a totally new engine, and have been in talks with Prime Minister of Britain for possible support of what we see as a major project.  Our goal is to be the #2 motorcycle manufacturer in Britain.  Our price range will be under 100k euros, and we expect to build perhaps 20 per year of these totally bespoke machines'.

The new SS100 takes cues from the 1926 'Pendine' SS100 competition model, with metal straps securing the familiar bulbous Brough fuel tank, the twin tubular exhausts (called 'carbjectors' on the 20s machine), the big, powerful V-twin engine (thank God it's not an S&S...), the unusual forks with echo the 'Castles' of the big Brough, and even the small windscreen.  The headlamp has a bezel ring with increases the visual diameter, etc.  Mark Upham has set himself a difficult task, the ultimate Vintage machine follow-up, and I feared the worst when I heard he was proceeding on this project...so much could go catastrophically wrong when playing with history!  There's much to commend in the new design, it is definitely not a failure nor a horror, and I'm intrigued about the on-the-road performance.  The 90degree engine, as we know from Ducati, is naturally very smooth, and the front end looks unusual, but BMW has proven a modern 'girder' fork can be exceptional.  As more photos are released, I'll add them to this post.

Specifications of the new machine are as follows:

Engine - 88degree V-twin DOHC 4-Valve, water and oil cooled, 997cc, 100hp@10krpm, 11:1 compression, 125Nm torque @ 8krpm.
Dimensions - Wheelbase 1550mm (61"), steering angle 24.6deg, trail 96.7mm (3.8"), 18" aluminum 18-spoke wheels, dry weight 180kb (395lb).
Chassis - Steel and titanium trellis tube frame, Fior double wishbone front forks, Ohlins Shocks front and rear, front brake 4D ceramic Beringer double discs, rear brake single aluminum/ceramic composite.

17 comments:

GuitarSlinger said...

Wow ... hmmn ... wow ! Sure looks right . So now remains the questions of both performance ... and price .

But it sure is a looker . I'm kind of shocked actually . I thought it'd either be some Plastic Fantastic Pocket Rocket wanna be or an overly retro'd pastiche of the past . But from the one photo here [ more please good sir ] all signs are he did it right . Remaining true to the heritage ... yet bringing it nicely into the 21st century . Hopefully a fuller article on this soon Paul ?

Tom H said...

Sometimes honour comes from doing the deed rather than succeeding at it. That might be the case here.

Even if it is 'under' 100k euros, the alternatives are so much more attractive unless your collection is somehow 'full'. Which it never is.

If you want vintage, buy vintage. If you want modern beauty, buy that. This love-child doesn't work for me however. That said, I'm sure this isn't complete folly I and that he has the first 3 years of production already, and none of them are like me anyway!

the french owl said...

It's not made in Nottingham = it's not a Brough Superior...

Patrick

GuitarSlinger said...

Well ... gotta tell you .. RideApart has a bunch of photos and some tech details about this ... and the more I see it ... the more I like it . Not overly retro ... definitely not ultra modern .. just a real nice balance between the two .... Whereas the price .. at an estimated $100,000 per ... maybe not so much .

@Tom H - Som of us happen to prefer Resto Mods we can ride/drive rather than purist numbers matching classics to ' collect' or hyper bikes to park in the garage and brag about ..... and if a manufacture choses to offer up a production Resto Mod ... well ... all power to him ;-)

Tom H said...

Guitarslinger-
I agree about the futile contradiction of making a moto a static object in a collection. My point is, collected or ridden, you can get much more than this for the price. You can manufacture what you like and it is brave from a manufacturing standpoint, but from a market viewpoint I can't see this being a wise place to park $100k. Enough vintage, new, custom and in-between options exist to make this easy to overlook.

As Paul has insinuated numerous times though, this isn't a commercial venture. It is probably more akin to a secret society where the buyers have already been pre-selected!

Tom

Anonymous said...

Let's do the math ...
20 X 100,000 = 2 million
Is this really a number to go forward on?
Maybe for a boutique 5 person shop building 2 a month - but aiming for #2 in the UK?

Anonymous said...

not a fluid design, poor style balance, poor visual asthetic

the french owl said...

Don't have an old Brough, will never have one, better things to spend me money on... so some of you think this new thing at "just under $100,00" will be less elitist than the real thing??? LOL

This is just wind on the internet, and of no consequences rather that make Upham foam at the lips...

Anonymous said...

it certainly looks retro with Brough styling touches.
sleek, but very high, whereas SS100 were sleek and low, making them looking fast when standing still
100000?? I'll but a genuine old one (ok, maybe not a SS100) AND a modern Ducati for that kinda money

Conchscooter said...

I thought someone was building an actual replica for $250,000 which is as out of reach as this machine. Other than the shape of the tank I don't see how it is a Brough Anything. But out-of-reach is out-of-reach, whatever you call it. If anyone were offering me a choice I'd actually prefer a modest Sterling Autocycle for 7500Euro...

Eugene D. said...

Paul,

I would prefer Mr. Upham just left brough alone.

I had a small amount of respect for his reproductions, but the new bike is why I dislike old marques being brought back to life.

Tacky in my humble opinion.


Nortley said...

Pendine? Pendejos.

Bultaco Metrella said...

I absolutely love it. I think it is gorgeous. It gets the look of a 'modern' Brough just right. I would love to ride this through the city as it has such style. I don't want a plastic fantastic racer, a streetfighter or an Adventure machine. I want a bike that is a pleasure to ride, a pleasure to look at the details and a rarity beyond Bimota. How will I get it registered in Australia? better scrape up the money and ask.

Caroline said...

I saw it at Eicma, I am happy somehow retro but also modern style. Thanks for the informtion,
Cheers

Anonymous said...

It looks like someone got a storefront manikin and put an marble emperor's head and crown on it.

Also, what kind of Brough doesn't have fishtail exhausts? What is this?

Anonymous said...

I have seen a Brough Superior up close and it is a beautiful hand crafted machine. CNC design and manufacturing has taken all that away in fact all you need is 4 million euros and you can come up with any thing you want. The thing with the SS100 and the HRD Vincent is they were both expensive machines, but they both had an ace up their sleeves. What gave them fame in their day, back in the 30's mind you, which had every one revel in astonishment, was they both guaranteed their bikes could attain 100 miles per hour! What's the draw card with this machine? Can they guarantee 300 miles an hour? That would push my buttons. Having said that I do think it is a very nice looking machine and I should certainly like to be seen booming down some winding country road with my hair on fire.

Julian R Cole said...

Some things you see for the first time generate the 'I want one' feeling. The ss100 does this for me, as does my Buell Lightning, just have an affinity for raw primitive V twin power in a high tech package. Full marks to the designers of this machine, a striking and beautiful departure from the herd of alien look alikes.